Welcome to the Incorporated Village of Port Jefferson’s Planning and Building Department Web Page. We will try to make your experience with our department as pleasant as possible.
88 North Country Road
Port Jefferson, NY 11777
(631) 473-4744 Phone
(631) 473-2049 Fax
The Department of Planning and Building serves the community by providing for the health, safety, welfare, and safety education of the public in the following areas:
- Building Permits
- Building Inspections
- Zoning Compliance
- Fire/Life Safety Inspection
- Site Plans (Planning Board)
- Subdivisions (Planning Board)
- Area and Use Variances, C.E.U.’s and Code Interpretations (Zoning Board of Appeals)
- Tree Clearing and Grading Permits
- Sign and Awning Permits
- Pool Permits
The mission of the Department of Planning and Building is to provide comprehensive and exemplary service to the community; to enhance the quality of life for all Village residents through excellence in planning and environmental stewardship which will, in turn, assure the Village’s ability to meet the challenges of future growth and change.
Department of Planning and Building Hours of Operation
9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday
Department of Planning and Building Staff
- Alison LaPointe, Special Attorney for Building & Planning email@example.com
- Denise Harrington, AICP | Senior Environmental Planner | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Neil Thompson, AICP / Planner email@example.com
- Tony Bertolotti | Senior Building Inspector | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bryan Donato / Building Inspector / email@example.com
- Lee Brett | Fire Marshal | firstname.lastname@example.org
- David Williams / Deputy Fire Marshal email@example.com
- Andrew Smith | Part Time Ordinance Inspector | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cindy Suarez | Secretary Planning & Zoning Board / FOIL Officer | email@example.com
- Susan Pellegrino / Building Department firstname.lastname@example.org
We close promptly at 4:30. We recommend you arrive before 3:30. If you arrive later we may not have enough time to process your request.
Here are a few questions and answers that can help you understand the process and help us process your building permit application.
Why do I need a Building Permit?
It’s the law! The Incorporated Village of Port Jefferson Building Department is responsible for the administration and enforcement of the New York State Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code and Village Code Section 101-3.
When is a Building Permit Required?
A Building Permit is required for New Homes, Additions, Alterations and Accessory Structures. Accessory Structures most commonly include detached garages, sheds, decks, gazebos and swimming pools.
What do I need to apply for a Building Permit?
The following lists the most commonly required information for a Building Permit. Many requirements are project specific and applicants are encouraged to review all information listed with the Permit Application.
- Completed Building Permit Application (4 copies)
- Survey indicating work to be done (4 copies)
- Signed and sealed construction drawings (4 copies)
- S.C.H.D. approval (if required)
- Evidence of ownership (tax bill or tax item number)
- Proof of insurance and license for all contractors
Certificate of Occupancy or Certificate of Existing Use for dwelling and additions to property and original structure .
- Proof that all plumbers and electricians are licensed by Suffolk County NYSDS business license for all fire alarm installers
- Fee ($200.00 minimum or 0.5% construction cost)
How long does it take to get a Building Permit?
The Building Department strives to process, review, and issue permits in as timely a manner as possible. It is important that your submission is complete- i.e. fee paid, all required documentation included and all necessary plans and specifications provided. Depending on the size and complexity of a project, please allow up to two weeks to receive your permit. Also, seasons affect construction activity (winter is typically a slower period) which may impact processing times for permits.
How long is a Building Permit valid?
A Building Permit will expire if the work authorized has not commenced within 9 months of the issue date or has not been completed within 12 months from the issue date for construction costing less than $1,000,000 and within 18 months for construction in excess of such amount. A six month extension may be authorized by the Building Inspector and an additional fee of 50% of the original permit fee.
When do I get my Certificate of Occupancy?
Upon completion of your final inspection, the Building Department will mail a list of the requirements for a CO. To complete the process you may be required to get a lead solder test, new survey, and/or an electrical inspection as well as approvals from various agencies depending on your project. After all CO requirements are satisfied you will be issued a CO shortly thereafter.
The property owner is ultimately responsible for complying with the building code and codes of The Incorporated Village of Port Jefferson. Building without a permit will only cause more hardship and delays in the future when you may not have the luxury of time. Penalties for not obtaining a Building Permit are $500. In some cases, other penalties may result.